17 Quotes for Getting Through Tough Times
By Peter Economy, author, Wait, I’m the Boss?!?
Like a wave, life ebbs and flows. You’ll face many ups and downs as you pursue a goal, dream, or happiness. But what’s important to remember is that the downs never last forever, and you can always tap into your inner strength to power through and succeed.
When your motivational well runs dry, look to these 17 insightful quotes to help you get through tough times — and get ready for the good times to come.
1. “If you saw the size of the blessing coming, you would understand the magnitude of the battle you are fighting.” — Michele Jennae
2. “Courage does not always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, ‘I will try again tomorrow.’” — Mary Anne Radmacher
3. “Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking.” — Marcus Aurelius
4. “Challenges are what make life interesting and overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.” — Joshua J. Marine
5. “Stop looking at the past and all the things you can’t change. They’re done and over with. Now is the time for you to look to the future, grasp it by the hand, and decide where you want to go.” — Lacey Weatherford
6. “No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.” — Buddha
7. “Paradise is in the mind.” — India Arie
8. “Don’t wait around for other people to be happy for you. Any happiness you get, you’ve got to make yourself.” — Alice Walker
9. “We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey.” — Kenji Miyazawa
10. “Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it’s always your choice.” — Wayne Dyer
11. “We all have an unsuspected reserve of strength inside that emerges when life puts us to the test.” — Isabel Allende
12. “On particularly rough days when I’m sure I can’t possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far, is 100% and that’s pretty good.” — Unknown
13. “Always remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, smarter than you think and twice as beautiful as you’ve ever imagined.” — Dr. Seuss
14. “An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So, when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it’s going to launch you into something great. So just focus, and keep aiming.” — Paulo Coelho
15. “And here you are living, despite it all.” — Rupi Kaur
16. “Hardships often prepare ordinary people for an extraordinary destiny.” — C.S. Lewis
17. “Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning how to dance in the rain.” — Vivian Greene
Peter Economy is the bestselling author of Managing for Dummies (more than 600,000 copies sold globally) and is The Leadership Guy at INC.COM who averages more than 500,000 page views a month for his more than 1,500 columns published to date. His latest book is Wait, I’m the Boss (Career Press, March 1). He routinely works with C-level executives, executive coaches, and business consultants worldwide. Visit him online at petereconomy.com.